The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/overdraft-accounts-warning-22748440.aspx

Subject:  Overdraft Accounts - WARNING Date:  7/14/2005  2:24 PM
Author:  mew5280 Number:  208282 of 308646

I opened an overdraft account 7 years ago at Wells Fargo just in case. I never bounced checks but with all the auto-payments and online banking, I thought it would be a good idea. Well, it was a credit card (used to be they took the money from another account, like your savings). I didn't have any debt or job problems back then, so I was fine for awhile. But....

Let me explain how insidious these account are. I bank online and I realized that I can transfer money from this credit cards (cash advance) to my checking or savings account! Just as if that 15K credit line were cash. In addition, a $40 transaction fee is charged AND the APR is 21.74 . I did this once, really stupid, I wasn't thinking. It wasn't much money but still, the idea.

Fortunately I paid this account off by transferring to a lower rate card when I started my debt pay down program last year. I'm thinking of closing it but with online banking and a few auto-payments out of my account, it's easier to have the overdraft as long as I watch it.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us