The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Another 1031 exchange question Date:  7/17/2005  9:13 PM
Author:  ptheland Number:  80066 of 123001

1. Can I do this since I already put a contract on the new condo?

I'm not certain of this, but my gut feeling is that you're OK.

2. If I can, can I pull out my original down payment from the original rental property and just roll the gain into the new condo?

Yes, as long as you don't mind paying some tax. The theory behind 1031 exchanges is that you continue your inve