The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/and-its-so-easy-a-simple-technology-called-22794665.aspx

Subject:  Re: Limited Fund Choice in 401K--Au Contraire Date:  7/25/2005  11:00 AM
Author:  bighairymike Number:  248179 of 753345

And it's so easy! A simple technology called "Open-Architecture" was available all along that gives any employee in any 401(k) plan in any American company a way to consolidate all their accounts in one location and also access to all financial markets and every other fund company. But most companies didn't know about it.

I have read about this on another board, can't recall which one, but it was in the context of a Fidelity managed 401k program. The feature was available but Fidelity charged something like $150 fee to use it. Still, back when my 401k was held captive (no more since I retired and rolled to RIRA) I would have paid to escape the limited choices and more importantly the utter lack of information about the costs/holdings/performance of my 401k investment options.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us