The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/what-do-you-do-if-there-is-another-market-crash-22824150.aspx

Subject:  Re: Asset Allocation Date:  7/31/2005  11:45 PM
Author:  wastelander Number:  47100 of 75530

What do you do if there IS another market crash? (Its all about managing risk, after all.)

There are other risks:

Inflation: What if there is no market crash but inflation really takes off?

The pension plan is terminated: I know people this has happened to. Pensions are at the sole discretion of the company. (social contracts be dam*ed, there's always the fine print...)

Frankly, I'm saving as much as my 58-yr-old bones allow and not counting on any pension plan or Social Security. I'm very worried about medical insurance in the future. If any of them exist when I do retire I'll consider it a windfall

I understand and agree with you. That is why I am trying to cover for amnarket trouble and am saving like crazy. All of my calculations on how much I will have as well do not include the interest or market gains. It is strictly what I or the company match is, and I am aware the match could disappear.

i am use to getting by on little, LBYM has always been my lifestlye. I have never gone anywhere, and I n=mean anywhere on a vacation or owned a new car in my life. I am also am figgering on a SWR of 3%.

You do what you can do and then make the best of what happens.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us