The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Living, Coping, Improving / Quitting Drinking

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/hope-all-are-doing-well-22854974.aspx

Subject:  Hope all are doing well Date:  8/7/2005  4:15 PM
Author:  gapfan Number:  445 of 461

I hope that all who visit or have visited this board are doing well. On occasion I read things here in MF that remind me how grateful I am that the "compulsion to drink" has been lifted. I have learned "better" ways to cope. I watch Dr. Phil and also see many examples where people have become addicted to alcohol or medications to cope with life. I did not know "how to turn down the heat" under my emotional "pressure cooker" and felt I had to "vent" the pressure in certain ways so I did not "explode." By learning about my anger at life and how to deal with that, I found solutions to some of the problems, but that did not occur while I was still drinking. Now, some 32 years later, I can look back with more appreciation for those people in AA and elsewhere who taught me new "tools" to use. And I accomplished far more than I had expected to with less problems. My hopes and goals back them were not good for me, and until I could change the focus, I caused most of my own misery.

I hope you will share if you have problems or questions that people here might answer for you.

Sincerely, gapfan
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us