The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Hobbies & Interests / Inventions, Gizmos, & Gadgets

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/what-should-we-do-22866513.aspx

Subject:  What should we do? Date:  8/9/2005  10:24 PM
Author:  diat Number:  14 of 26

Hello,

I just discovered this board, and I am glad that this forum is here. Here's the dilemma......

Five or six years ago, a guy that knows a family member showed him this awesome game. He gave him the prototype and then told him that he didn't care what he did with the prototype or knowledge of the game. A number of other people have seen the game, too, over these years. The cool thing is that only the guy who made it and my family member (and me) knows how it works. The game is VERY unobvious to figure out, and would be a great seller. It is like a brain-teaser sort of game. Now the family member wants to patent the game and then manufacture and sell it. My first inclination is that he cannot patent it, but since it has been five to six years that he has had the prototype, that he can manufacture and sell the product. What should he do in this situation? I am concerned that the original inventor may try to sue if the product becomes a big seller and brings in lots of profit.

Thanks,
Diat
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us