The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Products & Services / BuyandHold.com

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/in-the-end-it-all-depends-on-the-number-of-times-22882697.aspx

Subject:  Re: A Disgruntled (now former) Customer Date:  8/13/2005  1:39 AM
Author:  starvingactor Number:  4939 of 4956

In the end, it all depends on the number of times you will trade and how much you will fund your IRA.

True. And it depends on whether or not you ever intend to possibly leave Buyandhold.com in the future (by transferring your assets to another institution).

If it costs you a $50 termination fee, the $25 annual IRA fee (nevermind that you've lived up to your end of the bargain by doing a monthly EZ-Vest - they'll still charge you, or so I found), along with $2.99 for each stock you own (in order to sell off the excess/partial shares)...well, that adds a bit more than you expected to to the bottom line of your IRA.

I did the same calculations you just did when I opened the account - what I didn't figure in was that they'd charge me an arm and a leg if I ever wanted to leave. For me, it actually would've been cheaper in the long run to go with Scottrade or Firstrade or someone with similar fees.

It does seem like a very doable deal...just be sure you know how much more it'll cost you if you ever decide to transfer out.

SA
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us