The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / FIRE Wannabees

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/its-useful-to-realize-that-the-large-majority-of-22887033.aspx

Subject:  Re: FIRE Plans on hold Date:  8/14/2005  12:34 PM
Author:  mazske Number:  3512 of 5068

It's useful to realize that the large majority of authors make less from their writing than you make as a police officer.

Oh, I realize that. I'm working on a novel myself and I know all about the time I spend working on it and the fact that the potential payout is not very good. But, writing for me is fun. If I can spin my yarns and someone out there enjoys reading them, great.

Not to go off on a tangent, but I think the odds are good that the said book will be published. It's a suspense thriller, not something I want my kids to read. Not until they are older.

But, if I can get several written, maybe I'll take a trip and try to set up book signings along the way. That way, the trip can be a business expense, but I can take the family along and make it a vacation.

Most authors, especially new ones, work other jobs besides just writing. The ones who write full time seem stressed, at times, due to having to meet deadlines, not having control of their schedules, traveling to do book signings, etc.

So, my goal is to just be a casual writer. My name has now been in two books by being acknowledged. I expect it to probably be in a few more in the next year in the same way.

Now, it's time to get it on the cover.

If I can make a buck or two when it's published, all the better.

But, if any authors reading this want to either come to Book 'Em, or want me to read their work if they think I can help with ideas or to make sure the details make sense, just shoot me an e-mail.

Back to Book 'Em. I am slowly working on spreading the event to other localities in the country. It's tough, because first of all, I require that a law enforcement agency be the "host" of the event and I'm having trouble finding passionate cops that are willing to do this. But, we'll spread, I expect.

More to come on Book 'Em in the upcoming months.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us