The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / FIRE Wannabees

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/mazske-so-here-i-sit-a-guy-who-is-also-22889624.aspx

Subject:  Re: FIRE Plans on hold Date:  8/15/2005  8:29 AM
Author:  decath Number:  3517 of 5084

mazske:
So, here I sit. A guy who is also passionate about FIREing, so I can pursue my love of promoting literacy as a volunteer, but now I have to put my FIRE plans on hold.

There is not a lot left to cut to Live further below my means. Yes, I could cut out the boys piano class, but I don't want to. OK, before you say they are spoiled by having piano classes, the piano we own is about 50 years old and currently has 6 broken keys that I can't afford to fix.

Hang in there mazske! There ARE more important things in life than FIRE. IMHO, FIRE is a luxury that can be pursued but not at the expense of the present. If FIRE'ing means living like a miser and withholding all of the simple pleasures you and your family enjoy in the here and now, then it is not worth it!

I've made adjustments over the years myself to my FIRE plans. I originally expected FIRE at the age of 45. However, after the tech wreck, private school for child number 3 and my wife committed to staying home with all 3 children until they are in JH, I've had to push my FIRE plans out to roughly when I'm 52 (give or take a year).

decath

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us