The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / FIRE Wannabees

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/mazske-most-fire-wannabes-are-trying-to-get-out-22889882.aspx

Subject:  Re: FIRE Plans on hold Date:  8/15/2005  9:48 AM
Author:  nmckay Number:  3518 of 5069

mazske,

Most FIRE wannabes are trying to get out of their oppressive work situations to pursue something that really matters to them. They feel the solution is to first get a pile of money and then go pursue their dream. The jury's still out on whether or not that works.

It sounds to me as if you've got a passion with your literacy work and you've got a job where you have an impact on your community every day. Contrast that with paper pushers in cubical farms watching the clock every day. They want the sort of engagement you currently have.

Go out and get the book "What Should I Do With My Life" by Po Bronson and read it. You'll see that all sorts of folks are struggling with this life thing. He also talks about his writing career, which you may find interesting. A very good book and I highly recommend it to anyone who's living a self examined life or contemplating a life change.

Here for now, gone forever. How you gonna act?

nmckay
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us