The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Relationships / Sex and Relationships

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/congratulations-jon-thanks-very-much-everyone-22892084.aspx

Subject:  Re: YES! Date:  8/15/2005  4:03 PM
Author:  JonBeer Number:  46915 of 65471

Congratulations Jon!!!

Thanks very much everyone. It's been a very exciting weekend....

Friday was utterly utterly nerve wracking for me. I was scheduled to film from 9:30am onwards, but Allison couldn't know. As a result I got up and went to work, arriving at 6:30am as usual and sending her emails and stuff. I then went home around 9, only for her to ring me at the office 3 minutes later. Luckily my guys covered for me, and let me know, so I came BACK to the office to call her back from there - she has called ID... Went down to filming, after telling my partner on the trading floor to cover for me with emails and if she rang tell her I was in a looooong meeting.

I went downtown and filmed with Dave a few minutes worth of footage where we prepare parmesan crisps for the soup, and make champagne jello (well, he makes it, I make admiring noises and look interested). This takes several hours. Who knew TV was such hard work??

I leave the studio (actually someone's cramped and very sweaty apartment) and head back home to change back into work gear - go back to work and pretend I just got out of the meeting(at 3:00pm!!). somehow pull it off. Leave work, go home, change into suit for evening's filming.

My girlfriend is running very late and is considering cancelling. I tell her I've called the producers and they're running late so it's not a big deal, but that they asked whether I'd be ok substituting someone else as my "girlfriend" for the "special anniversary dinner" show - said I'd be ok with it. Naturally, this not only squashes suspiscions she was harbouring about me asking her on the show, but also angers her a little and spurs her into coming. The first of my moments of genius...

Arrive at the offices of the production company where my lady's friends are already getting make-up done, she arrives about 5 minutes after me. I lie like a cheap watch about my day and how well the meeting went. I also take her best friend aside and inquire, not for the first time, about the two of us going ring shopping in a couple of days - she agrees and I think this is instrumental in allaying my lady's suspicions as she later tells her very specifically "It's in the works, but it's NOT today, so don't get dissapointed". The second of my moments of genius....

We go over to the studio, and I have the ring in my pocket next to my cell-phone. I see my girlfriend looking at the bulge pointedly and try to cover it with m suit jackey, but to no avail. She suggests I put my cell-phone in my bag so that it doesn't bulge like that (she knew it couldn't be anything else in my trousers bulging!) or go off during filming (errr.... no comment). Crisis!!! What to do?!? I put the phone in her bag when she can't see, and transfer the ring to the other pocket, where my wallet is making another bulge. She sees the flat left hand pocket and again, suspicions squashed. M of G 3...

We start filming. Goodness me those lights get hot! You also have to turn off all the air-conditioning whilst taping as the noise is too much, so that doesn't help... We're all sweating like dogs, and drinking far too much wine. The food though is delicious! Of course, we'd have said it was even if it wasn't, but seriously - yum. Cauliflower soup which blew my socks off, beer braised ribs for main course, and then the coolest desert - Champagne Jello. Make Jello with lots of champagne, chill it pretty quickly and you get what looks exactly like frozen champagne with the bubbles still in it. Tastes great and looks incredible too. We used plain gelatin rather than flavoured jello, don't know how the flavours would taste.

As we finish the jello course, the director casually suggests it might be a good idea if I gave a brief toast to round off the meal. Naturally, this is all pre-planned. On hearing that the entire crew filters into the room so they can watch as they ALL know what's about to happen. Fortuitously, a couple more of my girlfriend's friends have arrived and are watching as we're all going out for a beer afterwards anyway. I sit and appear to be in deep thought for a minute or so whilst I pretend to think up a toast on the spot. Cameras roll...

I stand and raise my glass. I thank Dave for the wonderful meal, I thank Allison's friends for sharing this special day with us, I turn to my girlfriend, and turn on the gushy stuff. I dont even remember exactly what I say to be honest, good thing it's on tape. Something about the last year being the most wonderful of my life, how she makes me the man I've always wanted to be and then I say "I can't wait to spend the rest of my life with you" whip out the ring from pocket, and go down on one knee.

"Allison, will you marry me?"

Silence.

The whole room, and the cameras, look on expectantly.

Silence.

Allison is sitting there, looking utterly utterly shocked. She's staring at all these people watching her, looking at her friends shocked faces, unable to take it in.

After about three and half years of sitting there, she finally says:

"Yes".

Woo!!!! She then proceeds to push her right hand towards me and I have to ask for the left one (good thing one of us knew this was coming and had some idea what to do). I put the ring on, and it fits perfectly.

The next hour or two is a blur (so are the last couple of minutes to be honest) but there were many tears of joy from all concerned, many handshakes and hugs, and even more bottles of champagne. We had a great celebration, and although my now fiancee wanted to kill me a couple of times for asking her on TV, she now thinks it was a wonderful way to ask her, as it included her best friends, is very much out of the ordinary, showed a lot of dedication, and will be something she can watch forever. I was a little worried for a minute though :)

The weekend was spent fielding incessant phone calls from her family, we had two cordless phones and her cell phone all run out of batteries at least once, despite being plugged in as much as possible. Looks like a January wedding in Toronto though :)

The show should air in October or November, I'll let you know the exact date nearer the time. I'm planning on throwing a party the day it airs and screening it at a bar somewhere in NYC. Anyone who recs this post is welcome ;) Yes. Even Odee.

Thanks for your support guys. I'm over the moon, and so is she.

regards
Jon

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us