The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/thank-you-all-so-much-for-your-much-needed-and-22905064.aspx

Subject:  Re: Army Guy needs Stock Advice Date:  8/17/2005  10:18 PM
Author:  jakecommando Number:  47289 of 74759

Thank you all so much for your much needed and heeded advice.

After reading your posts and several other posts on several boards, it looks like I need to hold off on investing in indiv. stocks. I am very disappointed that I switched to Sharebuilder now bc they only offer stocks and ETF's. I think a lot of my problem may be psychological as everytime I saw that 2045 fund (it was the only one I was putting cash into) it seemed so boring and I thought surely I can do better in something else. Also, I want to own stock as I like the idea of owning a company, it's so tangible rather than abstract like a fund, however, from you've said I need to wait until I build more capital.

So, bottom line- investing small amounts into blue chips sort of like I would do in a DRIP and maybe one small cap on Sharebuilder is not the way to go, vs 1-3 three index funds or the Target 2045 fund?

As for the Vanguard funds, the target 2045 still seems a little conservative for my taste. As you've previously stated I'm young and can afford risk in my retirement acct. so what funds do I need to concentrate on? I want growth- growth- growth.

Lastly, TSP for the Army won't match my contributions, so yes I can put pre-tax dollars into that, however, I thought a Roth IRA would be better for me in the long run. I cannot afford to do both right now. Also the funds in the TSP are pretty limited, and they aren't Vanguard.

Please send more thoughts...

Jake

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us