The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/hey-melissa-i-have-to-say-with-all-the-very-good-22940298.aspx

Subject:  Re: look at what I've done to myself Date:  8/25/2005  2:05 PM
Author:  mew5280 Number:  209983 of 308643

Hey Melissa, I have to say, with all the very good solid advice, you would really do well to make more money at one job. Can you do something else for awhile to make more money? How about sales? You sound like you have a good personality and sales is something you can usually sell yourself into, vs. other jobs that might require experience or additional training. Making more money would really help you I think. I mean double triple quadruple what you make now. That's just too little for your debt to ever go down.

I'm in a very similiar position but I work in IT. I was unemployed so much during the past few years that I racked up about $30K in credit cards and a lot of that was interest, late payments, auto-payments that I had forgotten (like $100/month to a gym I didn't use). In addition, when you are unemployed, it sure is easy to spend money since you have all the time for it. That was me. Nothing big, just $25 here, $150 here, all this while not working. I was in such denial but NO LONGER. I'm on track and just today started a new job. I make anywhere between 60K-140K per year, pre-tax in IT. Even staying in your current career, can you make more money somehow? Sure you can do it where you are today but you do have a big uphill climb.

I wish you the best. It is no fun, I know. HANG IN THERE!!
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us