The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-love-toyotas-drove-a-1985-corolla-for-8-years-23055439.aspx

Subject:  Re: How we got into this mess Date:  9/20/2005  12:28 PM
Author:  mew5280 Number:  211051 of 308355

I love Toyotas, drove a 1985 Corolla for 8 years (bought it a few years old) and sold it for $500, not bad.

Another key for me is finding a good, reliable mechanic. Everytime I take my car into my neighborhood fix-it shop for maintenance, I tell myself that $1000/year more or less is nothing compared to a monthly car payment. Here's a great story...

This particular neighborhood shop is closed on the weekends so when my husband had a flat on Friday at 4 PM, I called the shop for a referral. I was going to take it to a Tires Plus store near me but was advised not to go there but to another store on the same street. So we showed up Saturday morning (he was driving on the spare) and explained that we needed the tire looked at, hopefully it will be something small they could patch so we don't have to buy a new tire. They jacked up the car and took about 10-15 minutes, returned to us and said "we fixed the tire, pumped it up you're ready to go." I went in to pay and the guy who helped us said "It's on us." What? Are you sure? "Yep, have a good day."

It's so nice to have things like that happen, of course I refer everyone I know there. : )
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us