The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investment Analysis Clubs / The BMW Method

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/on-the-longterm-look-for-my-charts-23146816.aspx

Subject:  On the longterm look for my charts. Date:  10/10/2005  5:55 PM
Author:  freethinkerkeywe Number:  9371 of 41629

mikeklein9 and Jim BMW and others interested:

After having charted over 20 charts this weekend with the new trick which allows me to add another 10 years of data, I've come to this conclusion:

Data does not go back for all companies to 1980. For instance I can see Alcoa's data back into 1989 but no farther. However, I can see the Dow's chart go all the way back to 1980. On the other hand, I can not get data for BUD, PFE or KO going any further back than 1990.

So, it seems the older data is there, for the most part, on indices like the Dow, the S&P500, and so on. Also, I've found a few stocks with the data going back into the 80s.

It's case by case. Bummer.

There's a guy named Brian from sitkapacific funds who uses stockcharts.com. Brian is the guy who taught me the newest trick to get an extra 10 years of data on the Dow. I asked him this weekend if he has any connections to Chip, the owner of stockcharts.com. I really would like to start a movement of us stockcharts.com users to get Chip to offer us more data on stocks.

The BMW method is a tool which is more valuable, in my mind, the longer the look. I like the fact that you guys can collect data and draw the charts on your own, either by hand or with a software. I can't do either using Japanese candlesticks. I mean, I could, but one Japanese candlestick chart going back 30 years would probably take me 2 weeks to draw by hand.

So, back to square one in my quest to find older Japanese candlestick charts.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us