The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/greetings-patzer-i-actually-looked-into-the-23170289.aspx

Subject:  Re: OT: Career crisis Date:  10/15/2005  8:03 PM
Author:  xraymd Number:  212602 of 308882

Greetings, Patzer, I actually looked into the overhead of running my own practice almost 3 years ago when I was considering this job offer over another that would have involved practice start-up costs. I realized very quickly that I could be a good physician without having to fret overhead or I could be spending at least as much time as I have been doing lately (how ironic) trying to learn to be a small-businessperson. I did not feel then that diluting my energies would have served me nor my patients well, and opted for the salaried position.

And, yes, the software is wretched in its raw state. Though, again, I am apparently the only one not coping.

Were I to leave, I would not want to open a practice without thinking LONG AND HARD about just what do I want to do now. I would be benefitted by a real break since I have been working at fever-pitch essentially nonstop really since beginning medical school in 1994. Not meaning to whine here - it is simply the reality, but I would want to take some time for myself and really reacquaint myself with the true gifts I have to offer. My fiance thinks that with my manifest love of detail, I'd be excellent in some sort of forensic role, and perhaps that is true. I also used to be a decent programmer - not surpassingly inventive but my code generally did not break. I have a lot to think about and would wish to create some silence around me in which to do so given the din and clamor I've been operating under.

There is some sort of non-compete clause in my contract that says that I cannot solicit patients to follow me, nor would I do so anyway. But some would, since their loyalty is to me and not to the practice. Others would opt to stay aligned with the practice and I certainly understand that. We'll just have to see what unfolds here.

xraymd
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us