The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/this-go-longer-than-i-expected-xray-im-not-23170716.aspx

Subject:  Re: OT: Career crisis Date:  10/15/2005  11:10 PM
Author:  Swimmerdog Number:  212618 of 308394

(This go longer than I expected)
xray,

I'm not going to be much help here, and I've only read partway through the thread, but I have some commentary about the "super-star" doc who is entering stuff into the computer as he is seeing patients....I absolutely HATE it when doctors do this.

We left our previous pediatrician's practice because entering data into the computer as DH or I talked was standard practice. Drove me nuts, because I felt like the doctor was talking to the computer instead of listening to what we were saying. At least half of her attention was going to navigating the computer, entering information, etc. Our talking was almost background noise.

I enjoy having a one-on-one relationship with my doctor and my kids' doctor. I appreciate doctors who actually listen to what I have to say and pay attention to me, not the computer.

I know this doesn't help solve your dilemma. Honestly, I think the practice should be more concerned about keeping the patients happy. And how much does it cost to hire someone for data entry for the whole practice? Not that much. But if the practice and CEO are more concerned with the bottom line, they aren't going to go this route; they'll just keep upping the pressure on you to do your job.

The problem is, as I see it (and I agree with you), is that you can't do your job to your satisfaction and standards within the parameters your bosses have set. No wonder you are tense and depressed.

You have a choice...continue to be depressed, find a new job, or compromise your standards and do what some of the other docs are doing by entering data piecemeal.

I vote for find a new job. Easier said than done, I know.

Katy
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us