The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/what-makes-me-so-mad-is-that-none-of-this-has-23172284.aspx

Subject:  Re: OT: Career crisis Date:  10/16/2005  4:15 PM
Author:  Fuskie Number:  212651 of 308643

What makes me so mad is that none of this has ANYTHING to do with your skills as a physician.

I have to disagree. My qualifications are that my dad was a doctor, which means I have none. However, the ability to accurately document diagnosis and treatment is every bit a part of being a doctor as is the ability to tell the knee bone connected to the thigh bone. This is not to say that xray is not good at that on paper. Technology has made digital records more reliable (no chance for a nurse being unable to read the dr's writing).

It is not easy to adapt to. I remember when DF's practice bought it's first computer insurance system. The Office Manager hated it, and DF just took what the turnkey company offered, despite my telling him he was overpaying for technology already obsolete. He eventually caught on and became more and more computer literate, and today he is doing digital video editing. I have no idea if this is applicable or not, but just consider the possibility that it is a resitance to change that makes adapting so difficult.

In every other aspect of your profession, you are expected to keep up with new treatments, new medical discoveries, even new technologies and diagnosis tools. Consider this digital diagnosis tracking system as one of those things. Anywhere you go, you will probably come across the same trend. Even worse, unless you come to terms with the issue, you may turn down a great opportunity because they will expect you to walk down the same path as the current employer.

It may be that you do need a fresh start, that the pressure of change in the current environment will be lessened in a brand new situation where expectations are fresh. When I left the FEWMNBN™ I felt a lot of pressure to conform to a process that held a higher priority with management than my 11 years worth of experience and success. It mattered more that you followed the process than if you complete the task correctly.

In my two contract positions since then, I have had to work in environments with very different processes, neither of which is how I would have done it if anyone had asked (which of course, they never do). I found that without the 11 years of baggage, I was able to adapt with less stress. The important thing to me was the product, and even if it took longer to complete there way, I could live with that.

In your case, keep in mind the priority is the patients care, and whatever hoops you have to jump through to provide it, the end product is the important thing. You have to find a way to adapt, just like I had to find a way to adapt. It is not easy - I am in my 3rd year of career recovery - but it is a necessary part of getting older, getting wiser, and getting on with life.

Fuskie
Who wishes you the best of luck, and is reminded that being a doctor is nothing like it was when DF was practicing...
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us