The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-have-to-disagree-my-qualifications-are-that-my-23172489.aspx

Subject:  Re: OT: Career crisis Date:  10/16/2005  5:38 PM
Author:  JustSilly Number:  212657 of 308858

I have to disagree. My qualifications are that my dad was a doctor, which means I have none. However, the ability to accurately document diagnosis and treatment is every bit a part of being a doctor as is the ability to tell the knee bone connected to the thigh bone. This is not to say that xray is not good at that on paper. Technology has made digital records more reliable (no chance for a nurse being unable to read the dr's writing).

Fuskie -

I have to respectfully disagree with your disagreement. I currently work in the technology field as a technical writer and I've worked in training and support at a small company that made crappy software.

From what I've read EMR is the wave of the future - and it does make sense that entering medical info into a large database could be enormously helpful in many ways. I haven't seen any posts from xaymd implying the data shouldn't somehow go into a database. The problem is the particular EMR she is being forced to use.

I can tell you from my old job that there are many small companies making crappy software. The software we sold was designed by the guy who originally was the salesman and "figured out" how to program. The interface was awful, the database design was atrocious. Support and training was a nightmare.

It sounds like xraymd is trying to be a good doctor - she is trying to document in a system that sounds like no thought was given to how a doctor might actually use the software. Worse, the database is not fully populated and ready for use.

The other doctors who are being "successful" with this particular EMR are essentially *not* doing their job - through documentation.

The real problem is in all probability that the practice has sunk and continues to sink mucho dinero into this system. I'm guessing that they don't have the money for a new system, they don't want the upheaval that goes with a new system, and worst of all they don't want to admit to making a bad choice.

xraymd - I don't know what to say, other than start thinking of yourself as a short timer. If the situation is what you describe - please remember that there's nothing wrong with *you* - it is everyone else is having serious issues. (There is no sane reaction to an insane world...) Get your smile back soon...

JustSilly
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us