The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-have-to-respectfully-disagree-with-your-23173696.aspx

Subject:  Re: OT: Career crisis Date:  10/17/2005  3:00 AM
Author:  Booa Number:  212689 of 308782

I have to respectfully disagree with your disagreement. I currently work in the technology field as a technical writer and I've worked in training and support at a small company that made crappy software.

From what I've read EMR is the wave of the future - and it does make sense that entering medical info into a large database could be enormously helpful in many ways. I haven't seen any posts from xaymd implying the data shouldn't somehow go into a database. The problem is the particular EMR she is being forced to use.

I have to reiterate what JustSilly said. What I think got somewhat buried in the thread is that this software is *NOT* designed to be used this way--it is not designed to be used while seeing a patient, it is supposed to be used to enter the data after the patient visit. The designers of the software even said so, and they were *appalled* that xraymd was being asked to use it that way. And when she tried to get the software designers to talk to her bosses about it, and get some orientation on how the software was meant to be used, they "didn't have time."

A shovel is great if you use it as a shovel. If someone tries to flip pancakes with it, well, it's not going to be quite as useful. And some people might be able to make it sort of work, but that doesn't mean the person who can't use a shovel to flip pancakes is against learning to make pancakes *or* the use of shovels--just against the misapplication of a tool.

--Booa

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us