The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/that-the-system-was-not-designed-for-real-time-23174935.aspx

Subject:  Re: OT: Career crisis Date:  10/17/2005  12:12 PM
Author:  Smurfette823 Number:  212704 of 309050

that the system was NOT designed for real-time capture of information in the way my practice intends for it to be done - in fact, the system designer offered our practice a free two-hour solutions session to see how the modules could be customized for easier face-to-face use, and the management DECLINED to take him up on his offer (too busy to spend time customizing the modules!).

xraymd,

I just wanted to offer my warmest regards for your situation and a huge hug. {{{{{{{{xraymd}}}}}} I can't think of a *worst* feeling than that of failing when you're working your tail off to succeed. I'm supremely confident that you're a fabulous doctor and this practice is out of their collective minds to alienate you in this way. I haven't read the entire thread yet, but the detail I italiced above struck a chord with me. If the designers of the program quite clearly explained that this system was not intended for real-time capture of information then there are several important things you must realize go hand-in-hand with that. Probably most importantly of these is that this problem is NOT your fault! You cannot possibly make lemonade with absolutely no sugar, and it seems there is a definite lack of sugar coming from management. Forget that the other doctors have adapted, especially if they're abbreviating their notes at the risk of malpractice and their patients' long-term benefit. If the system wasn't designed to be used in this manner than your struggles are far more than simply understandable. If management are not technically savvy enough to take full advantage of the benefits this program DOES offer, or better yet, have selected a program that suits what their ultimate goal is (100% EMR with real-time functionality) then you simply cannot blame yourself. Period. Do try and remember that as this all plays out.

Personally I find it hard, if not impossible, to work in an environment where I don't feel encouraged and supported. It sounds like your present practice is a long way from that standard. It's just my assumption, but I imagine if the management is this blind and difficult on one topic that bleeds into other areas. Simply put, you deserve better. I think it would be best for you to look for another job. If they won't work with you to determine a solution then move on.

Even if you decide to stick it out a while longer, one way or another, you need to take the power back. I wish you the best of luck with this.

Lots of love,
Smurfette

((((((((xraymd)))))))))
Copyright 1996-2015 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us