The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/hi-xraymd-i-really-feel-for-you-i-think-i-ranted-23175704.aspx

Subject:  Re: OT: Career crisis Date:  10/17/2005  2:32 PM
Author:  vkurup Number:  212716 of 308882

Hi xraymd,

I really feel for you. I think I ranted a bit before on the "Physicians" board about my frustrations with our EMR, but I think I'd go nuts if I had to deal with yours. A password for each prescription? WTH?

I'd second the opinions that suggest that you move on. I'm sure that you could adapt with time, and with sacrifices, but this practice doesn't seem to deserve it. There are simple steps that they could take to help you through this process, but they refuse to. What's so bad about having you "transition" from all-paper to all-electronic? Nothing. Their inflexibility speaks volumes about their priorities. Physicians and patients don't seem to be high on their list.

In the meantime, how can you make the EMR process less painless? You mention that a big part of the problem is searching for the proper ICD code. Would an online ICD-finder help? http://icd9cm.chrisendres.com/

In my case, I try to remember that the EMR should serve 2 purposes - to document the patient's condition well enough that it is helpful to the care provider, and to document my activity so someone can bill for what I've done. My EMR has a lot of free-form fields, so I enter as much data into those as I can and I avoid the checkbox/extra-module stuff. In the end, the same information gets entered in the patient chart, but it's easier for me to enter free-form and it's easier for me to find it. The downside is that it's more difficult for the billing people to find it, but I figure that's their job :-) Maybe it will be incentive to get software that's easier for us to use (doubt it, though)

Anyway, keep us updated and I hope things get better!
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us