The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

Subject:  Re: OT: Career crisis Date:  10/18/2005  8:07 PM
Author:  ptheland Number:  212800 of 310165

I haven't read through all of the responses yet - the thread has gotten pretty long - but I thought I'd share a few thoughts.

I'm not in medicine, but am a professional (a CPA). Especially during tax season, I see clients, have to document files, prepare reports, and communicate it all back to clients. In a sense, it's not too different from a physician. Except, of course, that if I mess up, people don't die. They just have to pay money. (Which, for some, is not too different. <grin>)

As a patient, I like the concept of EMR. It makes a lot of sense. No confusion about the doctor's handwriting or dictation, either in the records or on the communications with others in the health care process (like prescriptions, orders, and the like). Conceptually, there can be a double-checking for potential problems (drug interactions, diagnosis that is inconsistent with the symptoms, prescriptions that are inconsistent with the diagnosis). From that standpoint, I would think that EMR could be a good thing.

But for it to be actually work in practice, it has to be a system that the physician can work with. Some learning curve should be expected with any new system. But if you're not getting up the learning curve, there is probably something wrong with the system. OR the system is not designed to work the way you work. Example:

I've taken t