The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-know-it-might-not-be-possible-to-fully-answer-23189073.aspx

Subject:  Re: TIAA-CREF "annuity" Date:  10/20/2005  10:09 AM
Author:  numbrel Number:  81156 of 127613

I know it might not be possible to fully answer the question without a lot more detail, but in what respect is a TIAA-CREF retirement plan an "annuity"?

Sorry, I just realized I didn't answer your question. The qualified retirement plans at TIAA-CREF are annuities. How it all works, I'm not sure and the TIAA-CREF website gives very little info. There are different investment choices that look like mutual funds, but the TIAA-CREF mutual funds are a separate entity that are available through IRAs (is your friend rolling over to TIAA-CREF IRA or does she want to move the money completely?).

Any money in the look-like-mutual-fund accounts (CREF Stock, CREF Global Equities, CREF Social Choice, TIAA-Real Estate, etc.) can be moved to a rollover IRA as soon as all the paperwork is done. Any money in the TIAA Traditional Annuity is moved over a ten year period.

Barbara
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us