The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/just-for-the-record-what-i-do-is-try-to-help-23342683.aspx

Subject:  Re: Index Fund vs. Buying Individual Stocks Date:  11/24/2005  8:57 AM
Author:  joelxwil Number:  48382 of 75777

Just for the record, what I do is try to help people make money. I have never read anything on this board from the rest of you that remotely helped me do that.

MC talks a lot, but I have never heard him recommend a stock or tell how to find a good one - nothing more than generalizations.

And no, I don't hold losers. Perhaps if I had enough of the company to influence its policy, and knew what they were doing wrong, I would do that. But I don't.

And yes, people who buy and hold - particularly buy and hold index funds - are absolute idiots. The facts bear that out. Want to beat the S&P? Over the last 5 years a money market fund has done that. Not that I recommend being in a money market fund at this time. But that puts it into perspective.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us