The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/interesting-thread-a-lot-of-good-points-on-all-23410737.aspx

Subject:  Re: Retire rich Date:  12/10/2005  9:12 PM
Author:  CubFan100 Number:  48793 of 76237

Interesting thread! A lot of good points on all sides.

While I've enjoyed the ride, I'm now REALLY interested in Helen's plans. I'm 50, would love to retire at 56 or so, but yikes, things don't necessarily get easier as you draw closer to retirement.

While some things are better known - I'm in the house I will retire in, don't plan on moving, kids are mostly through college, etc - some things are still very unknown.

I'm been saving practically since 401Ks were invented, but have a difficult time projecting future earnings, understanding what I will spend in retirement, and am concerned I may live too long (well, at least concerned I might outlive my savings). I thought I was moving right along based on the free retirement calculators, then I use Fidelity's calculator with 250 scenarios and poof! 30% chance I will outlive my savings. I hear I need 70% of pre-retirement income, then I read that I might need 100% of pre-retirement income.

Helen, how did you do it?

Steve

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us