The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Loss of Job Date:  12/11/2005  12:54 PM
Author:  TMFPMarti Number:  81868 of 127753

Welcome to the Fool. You wrote:

If I were to lose my job and struggle to find another that met my financial needs, how would a sell-off of say $5000.00 of simple stock be taxed?

When you sell a stock held in a regular investment account you have a capital gain or loss, depending on whether you sold for a gain or loss. You track these things by keeping your trade confirmations. When you sell you staple the sale confirmation to the buy confirmation and put it in this year's tax file.

Take a look at the FAQ---------------------------------->
There's a lot of information about these issues there.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us