The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-am-contemplating-the-removal-of-contribution-23412069.aspx

Subject:  Re: TSP v. Roth questions Date:  12/11/2005  12:57 PM
Author:  TMFPMarti Number:  81869 of 121219

I am contemplating the removal of contribution limits for Uniformed TSP contributions. My TSP contribution is not matched (I'm active Army). Does it make more sense to contribute max the IRS allows to the TSP or max my Roth IRA and put what balance I can afford into the TSP. I cannot max both.

Since matching isn't an issue, I would max the Roth before doing anything else, with the balance to TSP.

The other question I have is, if I get deployed and all my income is non-taxable, am I allowed to contribute to a Roth if I make NO or very limited taxable income in 2006? Maybe I won't get deployed until Mid to Late January 2006 - if that affects your reply.

I think there is something pending in Congress to deal with this, but I'm not sure. It would allow people in your situation to make IRA contributions even without taxable compensation. I would think someone who handles legal affairs at your installation would have the latest on this.

Thanks for your help,

and thank you for your service.

Phil

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us