The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Need help with house problem Date:  12/12/2005  2:18 AM
Author:  TMFPMarti Number:  81882 of 127613

Time to figure out the capital gains now.

Piecing together the two posts, I'm still not sure whether you had a not-for-profit rental or a second home (there's no mileage requirement). I'll repeat my advice to consult an accountant.

While you're there, find out what kind of gift tax paperwork you have to do. The $40,000 was a gift from you to them, and the donor bears the gift tax responsibility. There won't be any gift tax due, but you may have to file a return, depending on how the payment was made.

No, you don't send them a 1099. They didn't sell anything, so they have no sale to report, and gifts aren't taxable income.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us