The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Loss of Job Date:  1/26/2006  12:30 PM
Author:  Wradical Number:  83034 of 127613

Peter: I'm having a hard time thinking of any situations where it makes sense for the parent to report the income other than problems with low income - lots of deductions that are being wasted dragging taxable income below zero. Although a mutual fund with lots of cap gain distributions and a parent with a big cap loss carryover might apply at any income level.
If the kid's below 14 you're dealing with the kiddie tax (tax at the parent's rate)anyway, except for the standard deduction of $700 and lower tax on the next $700. So it doesn't even matter if it's interest or dividends - the parent's rate will apply on the excess.

Plus we'll charge for doing the kid's return. That makes it simpler for some parents, and saves us time.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us