The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Loss of Job Date:  1/28/2006  2:16 AM
Author:  catscanner Number:  83115 of 127753

My kids have no "job" but many years I have had to file taxe forms for the capital gains accrued on mutual funds. I calculate if it's better for me to claim it or them, some years it's me, others' it's them.

You don't get to pick and choose here. If the mutual funds are yours, you report the gains, losses, and income from the mutual fund. If the mutual funds belong to your children, they report the gains, losses, and income.

There's no choosing who will pay the least taxes here.

All funds are in UGTMA that are controlled by the grandfather.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us