The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-am-interested-in-starting-a-to-invest-in-a-roth-23644066.aspx

Subject:  Re: Starting a Roth IRA Date:  2/1/2006  3:49 PM
Author:  IndecisiveFool Number:  49615 of 74759

I am interested in starting a to invest in a Roth IRA and I am looking for suggestions for good, low cost, investment accounts. We already have investment accounts with Vanguard and we have been happy with their services, however, I see that they have a custodial fee on each fund in your Roth IRA with a balance of less than $5,000. Is this sort of fee typical? Any pointers to help me get started on this would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

There are some discount brokers with no fees on Roth IRA accounts. If you are going to invest one lump sum each year instead of weekly or monthly contributions, one suggestion would be to open a Roth IRA at a discount broker and buy an ETF. When your Roth IRA account is large enough to avoid Vanguards fees, you could transfer your account from the discount broker to Vanguard.

Does Vanguard waive fees if you have other accounts with them?

IF

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us