The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/greetings-i-am-interested-in-starting-a-to-invest-23644077.aspx

Subject:  Re: Starting a Roth IRA Date:  2/1/2006  3:51 PM
Author:  jbking Number:  49616 of 75790

Greetings,

I am interested in starting a to invest in a Roth IRA and I am looking for suggestions for good, low cost, investment accounts.

Let's take a step back for a minute. What kinds of investment vehicles do you want access to in the Roth? Do you want mutual funds, individual stocks, ETFs, or something else?

We already have investment accounts with Vanguard and we have been happy with their services, however, I see that they have a custodial fee on each fund in your Roth IRA with a balance of less than $5,000. Is this sort of fee typical?

Yes some places do have such fees. I would note that the current Roth IRA limits do make these something you could get over in a couple of years if you just use one fund, even if it is a fund of funds.

Any pointers to help me get started on this would be appreciated.

Know what kinds of choices you want before opening the account, otherwise you may just get hit with account termination fees if you move it around. Would you want index funds, good actively managed funds, individual stocks or some ETF combination?

Regards,
JB
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us