The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-am-interested-in-starting-a-to-invest-in-a-roth-23644161.aspx

Subject:  Re: Starting a Roth IRA Date:  2/1/2006  4:04 PM
Author:  jmknorthcarolina Number:  49620 of 76399

I am interested in starting a to invest in a Roth IRA and I am looking for suggestions for good, low cost, investment accounts.

Let's take a step back for a minute. What kinds of investment vehicles do you want access to in the Roth? Do you want mutual funds, individual stocks, ETFs, or something else?

I really don't know. I am risk-adverse, however, I am working on that ;-) I'm looking at a 20-25 year investment.

Yes some places do have such fees. I would note that the current Roth IRA limits do make these something you could get over in a couple of years if you just use one fund, even if it is a fund of funds.

I understand that in two years I could get around that. I just didn't want the fees to eat up any earnings that I had is all. I don't like bank fees.

Know what kinds of choices you want before opening the account, otherwise you may just get hit with account termination fees if you move it around. Would you want index funds, good actively managed funds, individual stocks or some ETF combination?

I was kind of thinking of starting with index funds but that's just my default. I'm better at the savings side than figuring out where to invest.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us