The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Well on Less

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/hi-as-someone-who-lives-in-alaska-and-collects-23706335.aspx

Subject:  Re: Retire to Alaska? Date:  2/14/2006  8:43 PM
Author:  alaskack Number:  915 of 1481

Hi,

As someone who lives in Alaska and collects his dividend, i'd say it's not worth it just for the dividend. First, you need to be a rssident for at least one year (may be two), before you can collect your first dividend the following October. Second, you need to factor in the cost to fly in and out, no matter where you live (it's not worth driving more than once or twice in your life). Figure $300-600 per trip for airfare minimum. Third, while it's not quite as bad as others indicated, costs are higher (we do have Walmarts and Costcos). Fourth, figure that as some point, the legislature will place a cap on the dividend and use the rest to run state government (my guess is $1,000 maximum, could be lower). So, I would figure a $1,000 dividend will cost you at least $1,500 to get it. So, you have to have other reasons why you'd want to live here.

Calvin
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us