The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Political Asylum

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/this-is-a-general-comment-to-the-board-not-23729948.aspx

Subject:  Re: Tolerence A One Way Street for Muslims Date:  2/20/2006  6:59 AM
Author:  beanoles Number:  899947 of 1950811

This is a general comment to the board, not addressed to anyone in particular.

A 21st century democrat should know that an attack on "the Muslims" - or on any other social/ethnic/religous/cultural group (eg "the Jews", "the blacks", "the gays" "the Mexicans", etc) - is a slippery road toward totalitarianism, fascism and absolutism.

Protect your democracy. Do not provide ammunition to the absolutists by playing their game. Not all muslims are radicals. The few muslims I have met are peaceful and friendly INDIVIDUALS who just care to go on with their lives, work, be happy and provide for their families. I am sure you know some and would likely agree with me.

Tolerance, individualism and accountability (among other precious values) lie at the heart of modern democracies. Do not fall into the arguments being used by radicals on both fronts to ostracize the other side.

Criticize the leaders and their ideas but - and I ask you to learn from history - beware of the "us vs them" debate as it only fuels hatred and intolerance.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us