The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/social-security-and-windfall-elimination-provisi-23760613.aspx

Subject:  Social Security and Windfall Elimination Provisi Date:  2/26/2006  9:06 PM
Author:  Fletch52 Number:  84443 of 121572

Fools: I am not sure what board to post on so I will start here. It is cross posted on LBYM board as well. I was playing with some of the social security calculators this weekend. One item that popped up although I had already read about it was the WEP (Windfall Elimination Provision). People who will have a pension provided by income not subject to social security taxes (such as some government workers or those from a foreign country) will find that upon retirement they will not receive all the social security that they would otherwise be entitled to due to this provision.

I fall in this category as I am from Canada. I was also reading in the FAQ section that spouses can take the higher of their own social security of 50% of what their spouse qualifies for. As my DW will have worked longer and made more money than I have in the US her social security will be larger than mine.

My question is if I qualify for 50% of her monthly benefit will the Windfall Elimination Provision remove a portion of that benefit. Does anyone know the answer.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us