The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Minimizing Capital Gains Taxes Date:  3/13/2006  1:16 PM
Author:  jrr7 Number:  84922 of 127752

The IRS allows you to sell the shares you choose, as long as you instruct your broker. If you instruct your broker to sell the oldest shares (or the shares you purchased more than 365 days ago) you'll owe LTCG tax not STCG tax.

Some brokers make this very easy online; some require that you call them up and use telebroker; some require that you speak to a live person. Ask your broker what the procedure is to specify a specific lot to sell.

Some brokers make it diffic
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us