The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Profit Sharing -- Transfer to IRA? Date:  3/16/2006  11:38 AM
Author:  jmbarnes Number:  50535 of 88435

Hi Fools,
My old employer offered a profit sharing plan where they would make yearly contributions at their discretion. When I left the company, I was fully vested into this plan, but I don't know my options for where to put this money.

I'm assuming it is a qulified retirement plan which I could just roll into an IRA. Anyone have insight into profit sharing plans? I am unfamiliar with this beast.

The other variable here is that I'm now self-employed. I'd guess that I could instead use the funds to set up a SEP or SIMPLE for my own business. In any case I need to get that $$ back under my control... I don't like the idea of just having it sit in the account of my former employer.

Cheers & TIA,
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us