The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ignoring-the-bond-funds-it-looks-to-me-like-46-23850509.aspx

Subject:  Re: Portfolio Management Fee? Date:  3/17/2006  11:02 PM
Author:  Watty56 Number:  50584 of 74759

Ignoring the bond funds, it looks to me like 46 funds out of 74 (46/74) of the stock fund stock performed their indexes, pretty impressive even though it was just over one year.

It sounds like you are one of the well-meaning people that is trying to do a decent job for the people that need the help, I'll bet that you have heard some stores for your clients about other financial advisors that they have dealt with.

For the other people reading this thread though I have to point out that being able to pick outperforming stock funds is rare, especially over the long term. In addition most people should have a certain percentage of their funds in bonds, and it is even more difficult to overcome the management fees in the bond returns and as you indicated many people are capable of doing better if they can do the work themselves.

Greg

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us