The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/jrr7-no-i-dont-have-the-emotional-willpower-to-23894579.aspx

Subject:  Re: Stock Opinions Anyone? Date:  3/28/2006  5:52 AM
Author:  RetiredVermonter Number:  50759 of 86390

jrr7:

No. I don't have the emotional willpower to follow a disciplined strategy in good times and bad. I'm too easily swayed by greed and fear.

It's good that you know yourself. If you don't have the time or inclination to manage your own investments, figuring out when to move in or out of any of them, it may be best to simply diversify reasonably and let it all grow that way. Nothing wrong with that, if you use a good investment counselor.

But I do know that money is money, and taking some profits is part of a good trading strategy.

There you have it. That's why I took my original investment off the table in that case. I knew it was kind of a "flaky" investment, so, when it moved up enough, I unplugged, took some money, and just let the "house money" ride.

So far so good! They announced a 2.5 to 1 stock split as of today, in fact, and have increased in price every day last week. I'm hoping profits from this one alone will cover our planned trip out west this summer.

Good luck to you.

Vermonter
Copyright 1996-2017 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us