The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Bonds & Fixed Income Investments

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ltquotyoull-have-5-years-to-liquidate-the-fbo-23910646.aspx

Subject:  Re: selling bonds Date:  3/31/2006  1:08 AM
Author:  WendyBG Number:  16020 of 35343

<"You'll have 5 years to liquidate the FBO account fully, and you may want to take > the minimum to do that, subject to your own personal tax planning "issues"."
I don't understand what this means. I'm not aware of any five year time limits? >

If you establish the inherited IRA account correctly -- and you seem to have done this, fortunately -- you do NOT have to liquidate the inherited IRA in 5 years.

I have an inherited IRA. You should request that the brokerage company distribute the Minimum Required Distributions (MRDs) based on YOUR age. If the growth in the investments are higher than the MRDs, your inherited IRA can grow, for the rest of your life.

Like your Dad, my mother also invested with a full-service brokerage. I can't emphasize how much I hate these guys (in her case, Prudential). They exist to fleece you. You can transfer all your investments, in kind, to Fidelity. You don't have to sell the bonds, to do this. Then, take your time, and learn as much as you can about investing. At Fidelity, you are totally in control of your investments.

Wendy

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us