The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-normally-get-up-between-4-and-5-am-make-a-cup-23915678.aspx

Subject:  Re: sleeping in Date:  4/1/2006  5:18 AM
Author:  Trini209 Number:  10342 of 19257

I normally get up between 4 and 5 AM. Make a cup of coffee and head for the computer. I love getting up early - the house is quiet, and I have a couple of hours to myself. I can read, answer e-mail, check in at TMF.

By the time the sun comes up, I'm ready for the day. I garden early, especially in the hot summer. By early afternoon, I've done my housekeeping, shopping, and usually the cooking, too.

The downside is that whatever doesn't get done by late afternoon doesn't get done. I'm happy that our cable box has DVR, so I can record a couple of the TV shows people talk about that I'd normally just sleep through - boy, I haven't been missing much all these years.

I usually turn in by 9 or 10 PM. Have just enough time to read a page or two before my eyes are shutting.

We've been retired for about 10 years. We're always busy (5 of our 6 grandkids live nearby and we see them all the time). We babysit a lot and do things with the kids and grandkids. Our house and property are huge, and we generally do all our own maintenance. We rarely eat out - I love to cook for a crowd, and during these winter months when I can't get out in the garden, I've been writing a cookbook.

I've never understood why anyone would play golf, or sit around a table and play cards or other games, when there are so many constructive or creative things to do either alone or with other people.

My idea of the perfect retirement is to surround myself with people I love and to fill my days improving my home and community, teaching my offspring whatever I can about enjoying life, and using my mind as long as I can before my body fails and my brain melts down.

There's definitely something to be said for "early to bed and early to rise"

Trini
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us