The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/the-idea-of-some-kind-of-fixed-asset-allocation-23939835.aspx

Subject:  Re: Asset Allocation Date:  4/6/2006  4:43 PM
Author:  joelxwil Number:  50943 of 75591

The idea of some kind of fixed asset allocation makes no sense.

A good trader looks at the areas that are doing well and stays in those areas so long as the trend continues. If nothing is doing well, then it is time to be short, using some of the ProFunds "short" funds.

At this point, the major action is in the emerging markets, which is where I have most of my wife's money. In my own account, I am trading U. S. stocks and some ADRs, notably TTM, an Indian company which has done very well. One of Cramer's picks. For a longer-term thing, I am holding BMD, aggregates and Canadian oil sands.

I am not particularly proud of my record at this time, since I have just been learning how to trade stocks. Still,

September 1, 2003 value of my IRA: $1,127,248.87
Money taken out at different times: $310,000.00
Current value as of today's close: $1,169,131.50

If I were doing mutual funds at this time, and had the freedom to buy the following (my wife's 403b account is limited to Fidelity funds), this is what I would be holding:

75%
ANGLX
MEMEX
UMEMX
PSPFX
FBRVX
USCOX
VALUX
25% UAPIX/UCPIX, depending on market timing, as a hedge.

Of course, in an account over $500,000 I would probably add some additional funds.

But of course these funds have to be monitored closely.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us