The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/it-is-possible-of-course-to-accumulate-a-decent-23941066.aspx

Subject:  Re: Asset Allocation Date:  4/6/2006  9:13 PM
Author:  AngelMay Number:  50955 of 74759

It is possible, of course, to accumulate a decent portfolio of you deprive yourself, live on very little money, and just do the stupid thing like put your money in an index fund. Then you can do the 4% thing. If you have $1 million, you get to live on $40,000. Not my idea of a good life.

I know single women paying mortgages and raising children on less than $40K - gross. I think maybe your idea of a "good life" needs adjusting. You don't have to be rich to have a good life.

Well, maybe the people on this board are just too stupid or, by now, too senile, to learn anything about investing profitably. Certainly, this board has provided no decent advice on making money in the market.

I know that I'm new to this board, but I really don't think calling the people here stupid is a very "smart" thing to do. This board is, I assume, peopled by folks who are near (or have already reached) retirement. Why on earth would they want to trade away their savings on the market? And making use of an index fund is not stupid. You need an attitude adjustment, methinks.

AM
...just sayin'
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us