The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/quoti-think-the-gym-membership-is-a-great-23951504.aspx

Subject:  Re: Asset Allocation Date:  4/9/2006  11:10 PM
Author:  Matt1344 Number:  51015 of 76421

"I think the gym membership is a great thing. That'll probably be one of the first things I do when the time comes."

Hi Greg,

The sooner the better unless you are physically active by other means. I was an engineer so my level of activity on the job was on the low side. In '92 I'd been putting on some weight which I'd lost previously. I decided to join Golds. Trying to do it at home just doesn't work for me, and many others. "I'm paying for the gym and I'm going to use it" is how I look at it, a bit of an incentive ;-) I also walk pretty regularly and dance once or twice a week.

Hope you can work out staying in your home. I bought a retirement sized home since I was single and the kids long gone. Probably could have paid 50% more for a larger place but I wouldn't have had any spare funds and going from $0 was going to be a challenge as it was.

I just heard the latest numbers on folks over 55... only 25% have $250K or more for retirement... way too many are at the $10K or less and more at the $50K mark... I wonder what happens to our economy if all these folks stopped spending and just saved all their spare nickels... and what happens if they don't...

Take care.

Take care, Ken
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us