The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Computers, Phones & Internet / Apple User's Group

Subject:  Re: Local DSL vs Comcast Cable Date:  4/13/2006  9:04 PM
Author:  TwoCybers Number:  32602 of 67306

Loki there is no difference between the Mac and the PC world once you get to the wire (or wireless signal) outside the box. The software within a Mac or a PC gives different names and different pictures on the screen.

Visit the Help with this Stupid Computer Board. There are almost weekly threads on how to hook up and other common events.

That said, your best reference is: Go there and join. It is free so long as you never try to post from more then 1 PC. As soon as you use a second PC, you have to register and pay -- costs $10. It is a pain to get to pay the $10 if you screw up.

I have had DSL and Comcast multiple times for both. I have had DSL from multiple service providers. In my view unless you are running a web site or downloading lots of large files (as in movies or music pieces longer then 10 or 15 minutes), you face a choice that is economic as opposed to "speed" or security. However, I am firmly of the opinion you will care a great deal more about technical and customer service then speed a couple of years. I have no idea how good your local DSL group is. In my experience Comcast at its best sucks. However your local DSL may be worse. You can get comments on DSLreports. As you read, you need to understand Comcast may be a huge national wide company, but they