The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Computers, Phones & Internet / Apple User's Group

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/well-i-just-talked-to-some-idiot-needless-to-say-23972839.aspx

Subject:  Re: Local DSL vs Comcast Cable Date:  4/14/2006  11:06 AM
Author:  Lokicious Number:  32617 of 65959

Well,

I just talked to some idiot: needless to say makes the choice easier.

As far as I can tell (translating from idiot), DSL seems to mean different things. What these folks offer, which appealed to me because I would just use my university email account, is some kind of direct dedicated phone line for $50 a month (after introductory offer). I guess it is supposed to be faster than other DSL. I tried to push the guy about whether they offered a cheaper DSL with regular phone line, but if they do, he wasn't willing or able to tell me.

I figured out I can get the kind of DSL you folks are talking about via ATT/Yahoo (higher quality is $18 per month). I guess that's the way to go. Must be some way to do it and still use my normal email (???). Any thoughts about wireless versus cable modem. I don't have a phone line in the study and would love to get rid of the wires. But I worry about security with wireless (like credit card and bank transactions). Wireless would presume I finally get off the fence and order a new Mac, which supposedly has wireless built in, though I have no idea about compatability with ATT.

This also would mean putting aside my lifetime hatred for Ma Bell—I have been trying to figure out how to get out of SBC now that it took the hated name—but I'm not quite stupid enough to lose money in pursuit of a whim.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us