The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/quotthe-alarmism-may-be-a-useful-kick-in-the-24013362.aspx

Subject:  Re: The myth of the $1 million retirement Date:  4/24/2006  5:06 PM
Author:  Matt1344 Number:  51368 of 76418

"The alarmism may be a useful kick in the butt -- but it can also be discouraging, too."

Hi #29,

I'm hoping the article gives some folks the encouragement to start saving no matter how much it is. Kinda get the momentum shifted in another direction. I started late and amongst the first meager thoughts I used to motivate myself was, "Maybe I wouldn't be able to afford more than one last Big Mac, but that's better than nothing." It may be great to have lofty goals but it can also be self defeating. Both RetiredVermonter and I have told our stories here.

Even if only one person is motivated by this article I thought it was worth posting, because as you say, the huge numbers thrown out can discourage folks when in fact they might be able to save enough for a decent retirement even if it isn't an extravagant one. And I still think anything is better than nothing... If one chooses to live beyond their means in some lifestyle they believe they are entitled to or that they deserve, well, they may reap the rewards of their folly...

I may not have everything I ever wanted but I've always had what I needed and more. I do think that for some of us our wants become more modest as we learn what brings happiness and what is merely a temporary fix or distraction from the emptiness that exists in many lives...

Enough from me...

Regards, Ken
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us