The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/what-to-do-now-24013861.aspx

Subject:  What to do now? Date:  4/24/2006  6:38 PM
Author:  rbmt2005 Number:  51370 of 75340

I am almost 56 years old. Late last year I had to take full disability retirement. Definitely unuexpected. Fortunately, through wisely managing our income (not investments) we aren't really hurting for day to day living. Other than a house payment, auto and home insurance, and utilities, we only have $6500 in debt. My company pays me a pension and I receive 100% Disability from Social Security. Plus, my company pays me 50% of my salary until retirement age (67) as long as I continue to qualify. So, for the moment, we (my wife and I) receive $5471/month. All medical is paid through the company with usual co-pays, etc.

We have $42k in a PayPal Money Market account earning 4.52% interest/month. In addition I still have a 401k plan from my company worth around $60k at last statement. Since the company always matched in stock 'units' that amount is variable.

I will also add that my wife has an LLC (just started in 2006) that brings in approx $600/month (before taxes after expenses). This is an Internet service and will increase in value/income.

So, on to the subject of hand - What to do now? I need to accelerate my earning potential beyond what my money market account is paying, although that is pretty good from what I have been able to research with my limited knowledge. I do need to have ready access to the cash also, although not the full amount. I am after 1, 2, 5, 10, 15 year strategies on maximizing ROI.

Have I asked the question in the right forum? If not, please advise where it would be better to post.

TIA
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us